Church of the Icon of the Mother of God "Joy of All the Afflicted"

Date of consecration: 12 October 1999 by Metropolitan Cornelius of Tallinn and all Estonia (after an overhaul).

One of the smallest churches of Tallinn is located in Sitsi Street. The church is surrounded with houses but they do not dominate over the church. On the contrary, there is an impression of solitariness increased by a high fence made from grey silicate bricks. The church was consecrated in the name of the icon of the Mother of God "Joy of All the Afflicted" by Metropolitan Cornelius of Tallinn and all Estonia on October 12, 1999.

At the end of the XIXth and beginning of the XXth century at the «Baltic Manufactory», (a large enterprise for those times), were many workers living in barracks. The administration built a stone morgue in the factories precincts which was reconstructed as a chapel and then as a church. Icons, church utensils and canonicals were gifted by various Tallinn churches. The iconostas is small and consists of only two icons because of the size of the church.

In February, 1944 Archbishop Pavel (Dmitrovsky) of Tallinn and Estonia appointed priest Valery Povedsky the rector of the church. At the same time there was opened a new independent parish.

At the end of 70s a small extension of a room for the priest and a refectory were attached to the church. From 1998 to 1999 there was a complete overhaul: the foundation was strengthened and a dome-shaped roof was placed. The church has become lighter and it seems that the church stretches upwards. According to discoveries made during the reconstruction work, the initial construction of the church can be probably dated to the middle of the XIXth century.

 

Panoramas:

 

 

Address: Sitsi 15A, 10313 Tallinn
Web: tallinn-vsr.mooo.com

 


Estonian Orthodox Church of Moscow Patriarchate
Pikk 64-4, 10133 Tallinn, ESTONIA

Phone: +372 641 1301
Fax: +372 641 1302
E-mail: