Church of the Narva Icon of the Mother of God

Date of construction: 1999 - 2003 (architect Grigoriev)

Date of consecration: 17 May 2003 by Metropolitan Cornelius of Tallinn and all Estonia

Lower side-altar: Consecrated at 10 November 2001 by Metropolitan Cornelius of Tallinn and all Estonia in the name of Saint John of Kronstadt

In September 1998 Archbishop Cornelius of Tallinn and all Estonia blessed the construction of a new Church in the name of Narva’s icon of the Mother of God in Narva. The original design provided for construction of a wooden church. The design of the church was made by an Ivangorod architect Pavel Grigorjev. Technical supervision of the work was undertaken by Narva architect Andrey Prokopovich. On October 22, 1999, with the blessing of Metropolitan Cornelius of Tallinn and Estonia, Archpriest Sergy Ivannikov laid the first brick and by the beginning of 2000 the box of the basement church was finished, the foundation was ready, the walls were erected and reinforced-concrete floorings were installed. In June the work on the timber walls was started and already on August, 14 the cupolas with crosses were lifted onto the church. On November 10, 2001 Metropolitan Cornelius of Tallinn and all Estonia consecrated the basement church in the name of Saint John of Kronstadt. On May 17, 2003 Metropolitan Cornelius of Tallinn and all Estonia consecrated the main church in the name of the Narva’s icon of the Mother of God.

The history of the Narva icon of the Mother of God is connected to the occupation of Narva by the army of Ivan the Terrible in 1558. During the bombardment of Narva by the Russian army the city was set on the fire. However despite the fire an icon of the Mother of God and Saint Nicholas was found undamaged. Till 1940 the icon of the Mother of God was kept in the Dormition church of Ivangorod, and after closing the parish the icon was given to the monastery community of the church of the Iveria icon of the Mother of God. After the destruction of the city, in 1944, the destiny of the icon is unknown.

 

Panoramas:

   

 

Address: Rakvere tn. 39, 20609 Narva
Web-site: www.narva-hram.ee

 


Estonian Orthodox Church of Moscow Patriarchate
Pikk 64-4, 10133 Tallinn, ESTONIA

Phone: +372 641 1301
Fax: +372 641 1302
E-mail: