Church of the Transfiguration of the Lord

Date of construction: 1938

Date of consecration: 13 November 1938 by Metropolitan Alexander (Paulus) of Tallinn and all Estonia

In 1938, in a former manor of Petersburg merchant G. Eliseev Oru, on the coast of the Finnish gulf, the church of the Transfiguration built to the design of architect Baranovsky was closed. The church was consecrated on August 16, 1899 by Bishop Agafangel (Preobrazhensky) of Riga and Mitav. It was a small five-cupola church faced with yellowish bricks.

When the church was closed the property was given to the Kohtla-Järve church which was started in June, 1938. The church was built according to the plans of a well-known Estonian architect A. Soans in Estonian modernist style. The church, square in its foundation (10x10), was built from bricks and later it was plastered. It has a hipped roof and a belltower adjoining to the building from the northwest side. The building was supervised by engineer A. Reimets and was paid for by a grant from the government. Inside the church, above the entrance, there is a gallery which leads into balconies on the southern and northern sides. The iconostas for the church was taken from the Oru church.

The church was consecrated on November 13, 1938 by Metropolitan Alexander (Paulus) of Tallinn and all Estonia.
In the summer of 1999, after the repair of the roof, small cupolas with crosses were put on the church and on the belltower being the traditional features of an Orthodox church.

 

Panoramas:

 

 

Address: Jarveküla tee 3, 31024 Kohtla-Järve

 


Estonian Orthodox Church of Moscow Patriarchate
Pikk 64-4, 10133 Tallinn, ESTONIA

Phone: +372 641 1301
Fax: +372 641 1302
E-mail: